Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Where There's a Birthday....

So the BF and I have the distinct pleasure of having Birthdays only a few days apart. This is great because I love birthdays and the only thing I love more than my own is His. This year I was turning the big 2-5 so the little princess that lives inside of me demanded politely requested the BF put together a little something to help me ease into commemorate my quarter of a century.
He did an amazing job organizing a get together of my good friends with good food and drink - including a little together time with just the two of us and one very special guest...


Champagne! And not the usual (and still delicious!) sparkling wine but an actual bottle of bubbly! The perfect start to an amazing day!
So to celebrate his big day (2-6...soooo oooold :-D) I did what I do best - BAKED duhhhh! The BF has a few favorite flavors - generally coffee is involved and then whatever else I want to make - so this was difficult. I poured over some cookbooks but ended up relying on one of my go-to blogs for yummy food - both savory and sweet. This wonderful sounding cake made the cut for my #1's birthday. 


Very straight forward to put together this gem made a very impressive but still approachable cake. Three layers high make for substantial slices and makes me feel like I can handle my pans in the kitchen! 



The frosting was a nice chocolaty compliment to the slight spiciness of the cake - that cinnamon goes a long way but it pleasant and not overwhelming. With the crumb being so light and airy the frosting is not overpoweringly sweet or heavy - overall just a great combination. 


As good as this cake is it does make a lot - so the BF and I have our work cut out to finish this beast - looks like we will be celebrating for a little longer (and by no means am I complaining)!


No comments:

Post a Comment